In my case, it was the middle Ab that sounded full volume when I played it, and it was driving me crazy. The options were to send it to a repair shop, purchase a new keyboard, or attempt the repair myself.
Buying a new one was out of the question, and a repair shop would cost between $150 and $250, and it could take up to a month. A week for the estimate, two weeks to get the part, and another week for the replacement.
So, I decided to take matters into my own hands. I found the replacement part on Amazon for $20, and it was described as “easy to replace,” which encouraged me to proceed. The estimated delivery time was 15 days, and the only additional tool I required was a screwdriver.
I received the replacement part within a week. After completing my lesson, I decided to replace the worn-out rubber strip. I removed the first 4 screws to detach the keyboard from the stand, placed it on my kitchen table with a towel to protect the surface, and faced my first challenge.
Easy to replace? maybe, but first, you need to get to it.
There were 55 screws securing the back panel, and some were tucked deep inside slots, making them difficult to reach with fingers. A powered screwdriver with a magnetic tip would have been ideal for this task.
Of course, all I had was an ordinary screwdriver, although I found a small computer screwdriver with a magnetic tip, which I was able to use to get the screws out of some tight spots. If your screwdriver is not magnetized, tweezers can be useful. However, I strongly recommend using a power screwdriver if possible, as it simplifies the task and ensures a smoother repair process.
After removing the 55 screws, I gained access to the back of the keyboard, but, to reach the rubber strip, I had to access the keys from the front side. So I had to detach the keyboard from the front panel. First, I unplugged a couple of computer ribbon cables that connected the power to the circuitry. Next, to remove the keyboard from the case, there was another set of 9 screws to detach. Once I took those screws off, I was able to detach the front panel and get access to the keys.